It's an obvious conclusion that auto insurance companies don't want you shop around. Consumers who get comparison quotes at least once a year are likely to buy a new policy because of the high probability of finding lower rate quotes. A recent survey revealed that people who compared price quotes annually saved an average of $865 annually compared to those who never shopped around for lower prices.
If finding the cheapest price for car insurance in Memphis is the reason for your visit, knowing the best ways to shop for insurance can help you be more efficient.
If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to get the cheapest car insurance rates is to regularly compare price quotes from providers who sell auto insurance in Memphis. Rate comparisons can be done by following these guidelines.
First, try to learn a little about what is in your policy and the measures you can control to prevent high rates. Many risk factors that result in higher prices like getting speeding tickets and a lousy credit rating can be rectified by being financially responsible and driving safely. Continue reading for the details to get better rates and find available discounts that you may qualify for.
Second, request rate estimates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes from multiple companies. Click to view companies
Third, compare the price quotes to the price on your current policy and determine if cheaper Aviator coverage is available in Memphis. If you find better rates and change companies, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, notify your current company of your intention to cancel your existing policy and submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to your new insurance company. Be sure to place your new proof of insurance paperwork along with your vehicle registration.
A tip to remember is to use the same amount of coverage on each quote request and and to analyze as many different insurance providers as possible. This ensures a fair rate comparison and maximum price selection.
Car insurance providers offering competitive prices in Tennessee
The following companies have been selected to offer price quotes in Tennessee. If you want cheap car insurance in Memphis, it's highly recommended you visit several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
Save with these seven discounts on Lincoln Aviator insurance in Memphis
Auto insurance companies don't always publicize every discount available very well, so the next list breaks down a few of the more well known as well as the least known credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Memphis auto insurance online. If you are not receiving all the discounts available, it's possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- Home Ownership Discount - Being a homeowner can save you money since owning and maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Seat Belt Discounts - Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle their seat belts can save a little on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Federal Employees - Being employed by or retired from a federal job could qualify for a slight premium decrease depending on your car insurance provider.
- Accident Waiver - Not necessarily a discount, but a handful of insurance companies will turn a blind eye to one accident before your rates go up if your claims history is clear for a set time period.
- Discount for Good Grades - A discount for being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. The discount lasts up until you turn 25.
- Life Insurance - Some insurance companies give better premium rates if you take out life insurance from them.
- Multi-car Discount - Buying insurance for multiple cars with one company could earn a price break for each car.
One thing to note about discounts is that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the whole policy. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Even though it may seem like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you're out of luck.
Popular car insurance companies and some of the discounts can be found below.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including passive restraint, student away at school, defensive driving training, safe vehicle, multiple autos, good driver, and accident-free.
- GEICO may offer discounts for multi-vehicle, emergency military deployment, five-year accident-free, anti-theft, and federal employee.
- Allstate offers premium reductions for teenSMART discount, safe driver, FullPay discount, auto/life discount, and senior citizen.
- SAFECO includes discounts for homeowner, teen safe driver, drive less, safe driver, anti-lock brakes, bundle discounts, and accident prevention training.
- Farm Bureau may have discounts that include multi-policy, renewal discount, safe driver, 55 and retired, good student, and driver training.
- Progressive discounts include homeowner, online signing, continuous coverage, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and online quote discount.
- AAA has discounts for AAA membership discount, multi-policy, multi-car, anti-theft, and education and occupation.
If you need lower rates, check with all companies you are considering the best way to save money. Depending on the company, some discounts might not apply in Memphis. To see car insurance companies that offer the discounts shown above in Memphis, click here to view.
Insurance quotes from local Memphis insurance agents
A lot of people just want to have an agent's advice and that can be a great decision Agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help you file claims. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is you can get the best rates and still have an agent to talk to. And providing support for local insurance agencies is still important in Memphis.
By using this quick form, your insurance data gets sent to participating agents in Memphis that provide free Memphis auto insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to contact any agents as quotes are delivered directly to your email. If you have a need to compare prices from a particular provider, you just need to jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
Selecting an insurance company should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. Any agent in Memphis should be forthright in answering these questions:
- How long have they been in business?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Memphis?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
Auto insurance coverage specifics
Learning about specific coverages of auto insurance helps when choosing the right coverages for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement.
Coverage for medical expenses
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for bills such as dental work, EMT expenses, X-ray expenses and pain medications. They are used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers you and your occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
This coverage provides protection when other motorists either have no liability insurance or not enough. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your Lincoln Aviator.
Due to the fact that many Tennessee drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (Tennessee limits are 25/50/15), their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important. Most of the time your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are identical to your policy's liability coverage.
Liability coverage can cover damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property in an accident. It protects you against other people's claims, and does not provide coverage for damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see liability limits of 25/50/15 which stand for a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a limit of $15,000 paid for damaged property. Alternatively, you may have one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which limits claims to one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability insurance covers things like pain and suffering, loss of income and attorney fees. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a decision to put some thought into, but buy as large an amount as possible. Tennessee state law requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/15 but drivers should carry more coverage.
The illustration below shows why buying minimum limits may not be adequate.
Collision coverage protection
This covers damage to your Aviator caused by collision with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers claims such as sideswiping another vehicle, colliding with another moving vehicle and crashing into a ditch. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are older. Another option is to raise the deductible on your Aviator to bring the cost down.
Comprehensive auto insurance
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things like a tree branch falling on your vehicle, damage from getting keyed, rock chips in glass and hail damage. The maximum amount your auto insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle's value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
More comparisons equals affordable rates
People change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as policy cancellation, high rates after DUI convictions, questionable increases in premium and lack of trust in their agent. Regardless of your reason, finding a new company is less work than it seems.
Budget-conscious Lincoln Aviator insurance is attainable from both online companies and from local agencies, so get free Memphis auto insurance quotes from both of them in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance providers do not provide the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small, regional companies work with independent agencies.
When buying insurance coverage, do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are many occasions where an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time that it was a big error on their part. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best cost, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
For more information, link through to the following helpful articles:
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Low Mileage Drivers in Memphis? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Toyota Corolla in Memphis? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota RAV4 in Memphis? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Low Credit Scores in Memphis? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Electric Cars in Memphis? (FAQ)
- Top Signs Your Brakes are Giving Out (State Farm)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)