It takes a few minutes, but the best way to get affordable auto insurance rates in Memphis is to compare quotes once a year from insurance carriers who can sell car insurance in Tennessee.
- Try to comprehend how insurance companies determine prices and the measures you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that cause rate increases like tickets, at-fault accidents, and an imperfect credit score can be improved by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Keep reading for additional tips to help prevent costly coverage and find overlooked discounts.
- Compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agencies can give you price quotes from multiple insurance companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy and see if there is a cheaper rate in Memphis. If you find a lower rate and change companies, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Provide written notification to your current company of your intention to cancel your existing policy. Submit a down payment and signed policy application to the newly selected company. As soon as you can, place the new certificate of insurance in an accessible location in your vehicle.
An essential thing to point out is to try to use the same level of coverage on each quote and and to get prices from as many auto insurance providers as possible. This ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and the best rate selection.
It’s a known fact that auto insurance companies want to keep you from comparing prices. People who shop around for cheaper rates are very likely to switch auto insurance companies because there is a great chance of finding coverage at a more affordable price. A recent auto insurance study discovered that drivers who make a habit of shopping around saved about $865 annually compared to other drivers who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding the cheapest price on insurance is the reason you’re here, then having a good understanding how to find and compare insurance premiums can save time, money, and frustration.
If you are already insured or are looking for a new policy, you can use this information to find better prices without reducing coverage. Finding the lowest-priced protection in Memphis is not as hard as you may think. Shoppers just have to learn the least time-consuming way to compare company rates online.
The providers in the list below provide price quotes in Memphis, TN. To get cheap car insurance in TN, we suggest you get prices from several of them to get the best price comparison.
Lower rate quotes by taking advantage of discounts
Some insurance providers do not advertise every discount very clearly, so the below list has some of the best known and the harder-to-find credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Memphis auto insurance online.
- Safe Driver Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Resident Student – Children who are attending college without a vehicle on campus could get you a discount.
- Discount for New Cars – Insuring a new Astra can cost up to 25% less since newer vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Club Memberships – Having an affiliation with a professional or civic organization is a simple method to lower premiums on your next auto insurance statement.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking part in a defensive driving class is a good idea and can lower rates if you qualify.
- Data Collection Discounts – People who choose to allow their company to analyze driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive’s Snapshot might get better premium rates as long as they are good drivers.
- Early Switch Discount – Some auto insurance companies provide a discount for signing up before your current expiration date. The savings is around 10%.
- Mature Driver Discount – Older drivers may be able to get a small decrease in premiums.
- Own a Home and Save – Being a homeowner can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Federal Government Employee – Active or former government employment can earn a discount up to 10% with a few auto insurance companies.
It’s important to understand that some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So when the math indicates you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you’re out of luck.
Some of the insurance companies that may include most of these discounts include:
Check with all companies you are considering to apply every possible discount. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered on policies in your state.
Why you need Saturn Astra insurance in Tennessee
Despite the potentially high cost of Saturn Astra insurance, maintaining insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
First, almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires specific limits of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In Tennessee these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your Saturn Astra with a loan, more than likely the lender will require you to have insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you default on your policy, the bank may insure your Saturn at a much higher premium rate and make you pay for it.
Third, insurance safeguards both your vehicle and your assets. It also can pay for all forms of medical expenses incurred in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay for a defense attorney if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you have damage to your Saturn as the result of the weather or an accident, your insurance policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having insurance more than offset the price you pay, particularly for liability claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is wasting up to $810 a year so you should quote and compare rates at least once a year to save money.
How to find a good Tennessee auto insurance company
Buying coverage from the highest-rated auto insurance provider can be a challenge considering how many different companies insure vehicles in Tennessee. The information in the next section may help you pick which auto insurance companies to look at comparing rates with.
Top 10 Memphis Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- Mercury Insurance
- American Family
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- The Hartford
- Erie Insurance
- The General
Top 10 Memphis Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- Travelers – A++
- USAA – A++
- GEICO – A++
- State Farm – A++
- Erie Insurance – A+
- Titan Insurance – A+
- Esurance – A+
- Progressive – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- The Hartford – A+
Local insurance agents
Some consumers would prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that is just fine! Good insurance agents can answer important questions and help file insurance claims. The best thing about getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find the best rates and also buy local. And buying from local agents is important especially in Memphis.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, the coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents who will return price quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to search for an agent as quotes are delivered directly to you. If you have a need to get a rate quote from a specific company, just navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
What type of Memphis auto insurance agent is right for you?
When looking for an insurance agent, it’s important to understand the types of insurance agents and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Memphis agents can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Both types of agents can write auto insurance policies, but it’s important to know how they differ because it can factor into the type of agent you choose.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel can sell policies from many different companies and that is an advantage because they can write policies with lots of companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, your policy is moved internally which makes it simple for you. If you are comparing rate quotes, we highly recommend that you contact several independent insurance agents in order to have the best price comparison. Most also have access to less well-known companies which can save you money.
Featured below is a small list of independent insurance agencies in Memphis who may be able to give you competitive price quotes.
- Lipscomb and Pitts Insurance LLC
2670 Union Ave – Memphis, TN 38112 – (901) 321-1000 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: The James Agency LLC
4778 Summer Ave Ste 1 – Memphis, TN 38122 – (901) 266-5507 – View Map
- Clay and Land Insurance, Inc.
866 Ridgeway Loop Rd #200 – Memphis, TN 38120 – (901) 767-3600 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agencies have only one company to place business with and some examples include State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. These agents are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agencies are highly trained on their company’s products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Some insured continue to purchase coverage from exclusives mostly because of the brand legacy and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Memphis willing to provide price quotes.
- Dan Crawford – State Farm Insurance Agent
5705 Stage Rd #160 – Memphis, TN 38134 – (901) 372-4400 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Kevin Howard
1440 E Shelby Dr Ste 2 – Memphis, TN 38116 – (901) 767-0030 – View Map
- Michelle L Wilson – State Farm Insurance Agent
5384 Poplar Ave Ste 439 – Memphis, TN 38119 – (901) 590-1922 – View Map
Choosing an insurance agent requires more thought than just the premium amount. Here are some questions to ask:
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- If they are an independent agency in Memphis, which companies do they recommend?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?