Everyone knows that auto insurance companies want to keep your business as long as possible. Insureds who rate shop once a year are highly likely to switch companies because the odds are good of finding a lower-cost company. A recent insurance study revealed that drivers who make a habit of shopping around saved over $3,400 over four years as compared to drivers who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding the lowest price for insurance is the reason you’re reading this, understanding how to get price quotes and compare coverage rates can save time and make the process easier.
The best way we recommend to find affordable auto insurance rates in Memphis is to compare prices once a year from different companies in Tennessee.
- First, read and learn about policy coverages and the factors you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that are responsible for high rates like careless driving and poor credit history can be eliminated by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Second, compare prices from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes from multiple sources. Find a Memphis insurance agent
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you can save some money and switch companies, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, notify your company or agent to cancel the current policy and submit payment and a completed application for your new coverage. Once the application is submitted, keep the new proof of insurance paperwork above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
A tip to remember is to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote request and and to get price estimates from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and a good representation of prices.
If you have coverage now or are just looking to switch companies, use these techniques to get lower rates without having to cut coverage. Finding the cheapest coverage in Memphis is actually not that difficult if you follow our advice. Vehicle owners only need to know the most efficient way to shop using one simple form.
Reducing your insurance rates can be surprisingly simple. You just need to take time to compare rates online with multiple companies.
It’s so easy to compare price quotes online that it takes the place of having to physically go to insurance agencies in your area. The ability to buy insurance online has made agencies unnecessary unless you’re the type of person who wants the peace of mind that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. Drivers can compare the best prices online but buy the policy through an agent.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide free quotes in Memphis, TN. If you wish to find cheap auto insurance in TN, it’s highly recommended you visit several of them to find the most competitive car insurance rates.
Save a ton with discounts
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but you may qualify for discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically when you get a quote, but some must be asked about in order for you to get them. If you don’t get every credit available, you may be paying too high a price.
- Life Insurance Discount – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a discounted rate on car insurance if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Senior Citizen Rates – If you’re over the age of 55, you could receive a small decrease in premiums.
- Drive Less and Save – Low mileage vehicles could qualify for slightly better prices than normal.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you combine your auto and homeowners policies with one insurance company you will save nearly 15% which can help you find cheaper Century insurance.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers without accidents can save up to 40% or more on their Memphis car insurance quote as compared to drivers with claims.
- Driving Data Discount – People who choose to allow their company to monitor vehicle usage by installing a telematics device like Allstate’s Drivewise might see lower rates if they show good driving skills.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags or automatic seat belts could see savings as much as 30%.
- College Student – Any of your kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Memphis and do not have access to a covered vehicle could qualify for this discount.
- Employee of Federal Government – Having worked for a branch of the government could provide a small rate reduction with certain companies.
One thing to note about discounts is that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. Even though it appears you can get free auto insurance, it’s just not the way it works.
Some of the larger companies that may offer quotes with these discounts include:
If you are trying to find inexpensive Memphis car insurance quotes, ask every prospective company how you can save money. Discounts may not apply in Memphis. To see a list of insurance companies that offer multiple discounts in Memphis, click this link.
Why you need quality insurance for your vehicle
Even though it can be expensive, buying insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires specific limits of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car. In Tennessee these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Buick, most banks will require you to have comprehensive coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may insure your Buick for a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them the higher premium.
- Insurance protects your vehicle and your assets. It will also provide coverage for most medical and hospital costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially with large liability claims. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is wasting up to $810 a year so compare quotes from several companies at least once a year to ensure rates are competitive.
Tennessee auto insurance company ratings
Picking the best insurance provider can be a challenge considering how many companies there are to choose from in Memphis. The company rank data displayed below could help you select which companies to look at to insure your vehicles.
Top 10 Memphis Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- Mercury Insurance
- American Family
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- The Hartford
- Erie Insurance
- The General
Top 10 Memphis Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- Mercury Insurance
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- The General
You may need specialized auto insurance coverage
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing the best auto insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For example, these questions could help you determine if your situation could use an agent’s help.
- Is my trailer covered?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in Tennessee?
- Are my friends covered when driving my Buick Century?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Compare rates but still have a local neighborhood Memphis car insurance agent
Some consumers prefer to talk to an insurance agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Agents are trained risk managers and give you someone to call. One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is you can get cheap rate quotes and still have a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this quick form, your information is sent to local insurance agents in Memphis who want to provide quotes for your coverage. You never need to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go to the email address you provide. If you want to quote rates for a specific company, you just need to visit that company’s website and give them your coverage information.
Choosing an company should depend on more than just the quoted price. The following questions are important to ask.
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- What company do they have the most business with?
How to choose the best auto insurance agent in Memphis
When searching for a reputable agency, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents and how they are slightly different. Auto insurance agencies can be classified as either exclusive or independent. Either type can handle auto insurance, but it’s worth mentioning how they are different because it can influence your selection of an agent.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can usually just insure with one company and some examples include AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. These agents are not able to shop your coverage around so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive agents are trained well in insurance sales which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Below are Memphis exclusive agencies willing to provide comparison quotes.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent can sell policies from many different companies so they can write business with an assortment of companies and find you cheaper rates. If they find a cheaper price, the business is moved internally which makes it simple for you. When comparing auto insurance prices, we recommend you contact a couple of independent agencies for maximum quote selection.
Listed below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Memphis who can help you get rate quotes.
Upon getting good responses for all questions you ask and locked in a price quote, you may have just found an auto insurance agent that can be relied on to service your policy. Just remember you can always cancel a policy at any point so never assume you’re contractually obligated to your new company for any length of time.