If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to get affordable Dodge Journey insurance is to start doing a yearly price comparison from insurance carriers who sell insurance in Memphis. You can compare prices by following these steps.
- Get a basic knowledge of the coverage provided by your policy and the things you can change to prevent high rates. Many rating factors that are responsible for high rates like traffic violations, accidents, and an unacceptable credit rating can be controlled by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can provide prices for a wide range of companies. Get quotes now
- Compare the new quotes to the premium of your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save some money, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Give notification to your agent or company of your intention to cancel your current coverage and submit a signed application and payment for your new coverage. Once received, store the certificate verifying proof of insurance in your glove compartment.
A good tip to remember is to use identical coverages on each quote and and to get rate quotes from as many carriers as you can. Doing this guarantees a fair rate comparison and the best price selection.
Anyone knows that insurance companies want to keep you from shopping around. Drivers who compare rates at least once a year will presumably move their business because of the high probability of finding a lower-priced company. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that drivers who shopped around saved on average $860 a year compared to people who don’t regularly compare prices.
If saving money on car insurance is your target objective, knowing how to quote prices and compare insurance premiums can help simplify the task of finding more affordable coverage.
When quoting car insurance, remember that comparing more prices gives you a better chance of getting the best price. Some companies don’t provide online price quotes, so you should also compare price quotes from them, too.
The companies shown below provide free rate quotes in Tennessee. If you want to find cheap auto insurance in Memphis, we recommend you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Rates and detailed analysis
The premium information displayed next outlines detailed analysis of prices for Dodge Journey models. Being able to understand how rate quotes are determined can help you make informed purchases.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Journey SE 2WD||$118||$200||$326||$20||$98||$762||$64|
|Journey SXT 2WD||$118||$244||$326||$20||$98||$806||$67|
|Journey R/T 2WD||$134||$244||$326||$20||$98||$822||$69|
|Journey SXT Crew 2WD||$134||$244||$326||$20||$98||$822||$69|
|Journey SXT AWD||$134||$244||$326||$20||$98||$822||$69|
|Journey R/T AWD||$134||$288||$326||$20||$98||$866||$72|
|Journey SXT Crew AWD||$134||$288||$326||$20||$98||$866||$72|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Tennessee minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and multi-policy. Rates do not factor in specific location which can raise or lower coverage rates substantially.
Responsible drivers pay cheaper auto insurance rates
The diagram below shows how violations and at-fault collisions increase Dodge Journey car insurance rates for different ages of insureds. The premiums assume a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Should you buy full coverage?
The illustration below visualizes the comparison of Dodge Journey insurance prices with and without full coverage. The costs are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Should you be buying full coverage?
There is no definitive guideline to stop paying for physical damage insurance, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is about 10% or more of replacement cost minus your deductible, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let’s say your Dodge Journey replacement cost is $5,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company would pay you is $4,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying in excess of $400 annually for full coverage, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some scenarios where dropping physical damage coverage is not a good idea. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you must maintain physical damage coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should keep full coverage.
Insurance does more than just repair your car
Despite the high cost, insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability protection if you drive a vehicle. In Tennessee these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Journey has a lienholder, more than likely the lender will make it mandatory that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Dodge at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance preserves both your vehicle and your personal assets. It will also reimburse you for many types of medical costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the price paid, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. As of last year, the average driver in Tennessee is currently overpaying as much as $810 a year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Car insurance is unique, just like you
Always remember that when buying coverage, there is no one-size-fits-all type of policy. Your situation is unique and your car insurance should be unique as well.
These are some specific questions may help highlight whether your personal situation may require specific advice.
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Do I have coverage if I rent a car in Mexico?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- If my car is totaled with they pay enough to replace it?
- How long can I keep a teen driver on my policy?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Specific coverage details
Learning about specific coverages of your policy helps when choosing the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. Below you’ll find typical coverage types found on most auto insurance policies.
This coverage protects you from damage or injury you incur to other’s property or people that is your fault. It protects you from claims by other people. Liability doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see liability limits of 25/50/15 that translate to $25,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and a total limit of $15,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage pays for claims such as loss of income, repair costs for stationary objects and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. How much liability should you purchase? That is up to you, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as much as you can afford. Tennessee requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/15 but you should think about purchasing more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below demonstrates why buying low liability limits may not be enough.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other drivers when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include hospital bills for your injuries as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Because many people only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (which is 25/50/15), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Collision coverage protection
Collision coverage pays for damage to your Journey caused by collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against claims like damaging your car on a curb, hitting a parking meter, scraping a guard rail, sideswiping another vehicle and crashing into a building. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. Another option is to raise the deductible on your Journey to save money on collision insurance.
Coverage for medical payments
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for bills such as X-ray expenses, ambulance fees, nursing services, funeral costs and hospital visits. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like damage from getting keyed, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, hitting a deer, hitting a bird and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The maximum payout your auto insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider dropping full coverage.
Don’t give up on cheaper premiums
You just read many ideas to lower your Dodge Journey insurance premium rates in Memphis. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the biggest savings come from some of the lesser-known companies. Smaller companies may cover specific market segments cheaper compared to the large companies like Allstate or State Farm.
When getting Memphis car insurance quotes online, it’s very important that you do not buy poor coverage just to save money. There are a lot of situations where someone sacrificed full coverage to discover at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your goal should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
To read more, feel free to visit these articles:
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Under 25 in Memphis? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for a Ford F-150 in Memphis? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for 17 Year Olds in Memphis? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for a Subaru Outback in Memphis? (FAQ)
- How to shop for a safer car (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)