Unbelievable but true according to a study the vast majority of auto insurance customers kept their policy with the same company for over three years, and about 40% of consumers have never shopped around. Memphis consumers can save nearly $480 each year just by getting comparison quotes, but most undervalue the actual amount they would save if they switch to a new company.
Really, the only way to get more affordable car insurance rates in Memphis is to compare quotes once a year from insurance carriers who provide auto insurance in Tennessee. Rate comparisons can be done by following these guidelines.
- Read about policy coverages and the measures you can control to prevent rate increases. Many rating factors that result in higher prices like high-risk driving behaviors and a not-so-good credit history can be rectified by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Compare price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote rates for a wide range of companies. View insurance agents
- Compare the quotes to the premium of your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find better rates, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Give proper notification to your current agent or company to cancel your existing policy and submit the signed application along with the required initial payment to the newly selected company. Once coverage is bound, put the new proof of insurance paperwork along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
One tip to remember is that you use similar deductibles and liability limits on each quote and and to look at as many different insurance providers as possible. This helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and a good representation of prices.
All major car insurance companies like Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm make it easy to get pricing direct online. Comparing prices online for Chevy Uplander insurance in Memphis is pretty painless as you simply enter the coverage amounts you desire into a form. Once you submit the form, their quoting system requests reports for credit and driving violations and returns a price quote. Being able to quote online for Chevy Uplander insurance in Memphis streamlines rate comparisons, and it’s necessary to compare as many rates as possible if you are searching for cheap prices.
To find out how much you can save on car insurance, consider comparing rates from the companies shown below. If you have coverage now, it’s recommended you enter your coverages exactly as shown on your declarations page. Doing this assures you are getting rate comparison quotes using the same coverage and limits.
The auto insurance companies shown below can provide free rate quotes in Tennessee. If you wish to find cheap car insurance in Tennessee, it’s a good idea that you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
Cut your car insurance rates with these ten discounts
Some companies do not list every policy discount very well, so the following list contains some of the more common and the more hidden credits that you can use to lower your rates. If you don’t get every credit available, you could be saving more on your car insurance.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Forcing all vehicle occupants to wear their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Mature Driver Discount – Drivers over the age of 55 may receive a small discount on rates.
- Early Signing – Some insurance companies provide a discount for switching to them before your current Uplander insurance policy expires. The savings is around 10%.
- Multi-line Discount – If the company offers life insurance, you could get lower prices if you buy life insurance from them.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Cut your cost by having your teen driver participate in a local driver’s education class as it can save substantially.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying insurance for multiple cars or trucks with one company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Good Students Pay Less – Getting good grades can save 20 to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Taking part in a driver safety class could save 5% or more and make you a better driver.
- No Claims – Drivers who don’t have accidents have much lower rates as opposed to bad drivers.
- Policy Bundle Discount – If you can combine your auto and home policy and insure them with the same company you could get a discount of at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
As a footnote on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the whole policy. Most only cut specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you’re out of luck.
The best car insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts include:
- Farm Bureau offers discounts including 55 and retired, renewal discount, driver training, safe driver, youthful driver, and multi-vehicle.
- Liberty Mutual policyholders can earn discounts including teen driver discount, multi-car, hybrid vehicle, new vehicle discount, and newly retired.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for anti-theft, student away at school, passive restraint, driver’s education, good student, safe vehicle, and multiple autos.
- Auto-Owners Insurance includes discounts for teen driver, paid in full, good student, safe driver, air bags, multi-policy, and anti-lock brakes.
- GEICO may have discounts that include five-year accident-free, multi-vehicle, good student, driver training, defensive driver, membership and employees, and emergency military deployment.
- SAFECO has savings for multi-car, safe driver, accident prevention training, anti-lock brakes, teen safety rewards, and anti-theft.
Double check with each insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Discounts might not be offered on policies in Memphis. To choose car insurance companies who offer online Chevy Uplander insurance quotes in Memphis, click here.
Three main reasons to buy insurance
Even though it can be expensive, maintaining insurance is required by state law in Tennessee and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to be legal. In Tennessee these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Chevy Uplander, it’s guaranteed your bank will make it a condition of the loan that you buy full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you default on your policy, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Chevy at a significantly higher premium and force you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Insurance preserves both your Chevy Uplander and your assets. It also can pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your insurance policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a recent study, the average American driver is overpaying more than $855 a year so it’s important to compare rates each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
When choosing coverage online or from an agent, there isn’t really a cookie cutter policy. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so this has to be addressed.
Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining whether or not you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in Tennessee?
- Can I use my car for my catering business?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
- Is motorclub coverage worth it?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Compare prices but buy from a local Memphis insurance agency
A lot of people still like to have an agent’s advice and we recommend doing that Most agents can help you build your policy and will help you if you have claims. The biggest benefit of comparing insurance prices online is that you can obtain cheap auto insurance quotes and still have an agent to talk to. And providing support for small agencies is still important in Memphis.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, your information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents in Memphis that can give you free Memphis auto insurance quotes to get your business. There is no need to contact any agents because quoted prices will be sent directly to you. In the event you want to compare rates from a specific company, don’t hesitate to navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
The following is a list of insurers in Memphis that may be willing to give comparison quotes for Chevy Uplander insurance in Memphis.
Choosing an insurance company should include more criteria than just the price. The following questions are important to ask.
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
Insurance coverages explained
Knowing the specifics of your policy helps when choosing the best coverages for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring. Shown next are typical coverage types offered by insurance companies.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for immediate expenses for things like EMT expenses, pain medications, dental work, rehabilitation expenses and funeral costs. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to all vehicle occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not an option in every state and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
This will pay to fix damage to your Uplander from colliding with an object or car. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers claims such as driving through your garage door, rolling your car, hitting a mailbox, backing into a parked car and hitting a parking meter. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. Another option is to choose a higher deductible on your Uplander in order to get cheaper collision rates.
This coverage will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like fire damage, hail damage, theft, vandalism and falling objects. The highest amount your insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Liability insurance protects you from damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property in an accident. Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have liability limits of 25/50/15 that translate to a limit of $25,000 per injured person, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $15,000 paid for damaged property. Occasionally you may see a combined single limit or CSL which limits claims to one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability insurance covers things like medical services, structural damage, emergency aid, court costs and legal defense fees. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is your choice, but consider buying higher limits if possible. Tennessee requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/15 but you should consider buying higher limits.
The chart below demonstrates why low liability limits may not be adequate coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle from other drivers when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Chevy Uplander.
Due to the fact that many Tennessee drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (25/50/15 in Tennessee), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family. Usually the UM/UIM limits are set the same as your liability limits.